Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

Is it possible to develop symptoms for clamydia (for a man)

is it possible to develop symptoms for clamydia (for a man) after 5-6 or even 8 moths from the moment you got infected?if a woman does a swab test for clamydia but she has her period, is the test reliable?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

Yes it is possible to develop symptoms even after months of contracting the germ. Menstruation can result in false negative STI result so they dont generally recommend swab test while a woman is on her periods.

I hope it answers your query.

Let me know if you have any more queries

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for this doctor, I have other 2 questions:- what is the LIKELYHOOD that a man experiences clamydia symptoms 5-6 months after he has been infected?- I know cmalydia can cause infertility if untreated in the long term.. would you consider 8 months a long term and I should be fine?
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

Yes its long , usual incubation period ranges from 1-3 weeks ,however it can take months in certain cases. Frequency or prevalance hasnt been studied as such .

If you are negative with no symptoms then unlikely to have it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is it the same for gonorrhoea? that the symptoms can appear months after?
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

If you had a contact with someone having chlamydia its recommended to get yourself tested as the treatment is pretty easy with single dose of azithromycin. Its worth mentioning that 50% of men will remain asymptomatic with chlamydial infection. Gonorrhea usually would appear by 4-6 weeks post exposure.

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

Hope it was helpful.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.