Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have my brother who's suffering from severe brain injury.

I have my brother who's suffering from severe brain injury. He is 22 years old. He's been unconscious for 9 days now. Currently at the Whittington hospital. I've been told he's suffered a great deal of damage to the brain due to lack of oxygen and that the only thing we can do is wait. The ct scan said there was swelling to the brain and the eeg results wasn't clear. My question is is there enything that can be done that the NHS can't provide. Because now they've even taking him out of the intensive care unit so he's not being monitored as I feel he should be
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry about your brother

sometimes in the US, when there is severe brain swelling, a side of the skull of the brain is removed to allow swelling of teh brain without pressure.

this can help in the long term once the swelling comes down, the bone is placed back and the patient is given the best chance to recover

there are risks for infection with the skull removed

but pressure from swelling in the brain can injure neurons in the brain just like the brain injury

how did he injure his brain?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found him not really breathing last Wednesday morning. Don't know how long he was like that. He has historically of depression and anxiety. He was on prescribed Valium and theere was a bottle of vodka in his bag. My guess is that he mixed both and resulted in him not breathing the way he should've been while he was asleep.at the moment he is I think minimal consciousness it's called I mean he has his eyes open, he coughs but not much else.