Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

If a patient discharges themselves from hospital would there

Customer Question

If a patient discharges themselves from hospital would there GP be notified if there were on going health problems that needed to be dealt with please .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 28 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 28 days ago.

yes, if the patient discharges themselves from the hospital, there should be a discharge summary written for the patient by the doctor in charge the patient's hospital admission

and this discharge summary should be sent to the GP doctor

is this a relative that is worrying you?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No it's myself I discharged myself from hospital 4 years ago before my consultant came to see me .I never knew what was the outcome of my blood test and other tests that were done .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 28 days ago.

you can ask your GP doctor or ask the hospital for copies of your medical report and testing from that hospital admission 4 years ago

the medical records department of the hospital should have these records on paper somewhere in medical records.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The answer I needed was would my own doctor get in touch with me to say I needed treatment if consultant knew something was wrong with me .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 28 days ago.

yes, your GP doctor should get in contact with you if something was wrong

it sounds like you are worried.

you should make an appointment to see your GP doctor.

I a sure nothing was wrong

let me know if you have questions.