Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have IBS which flares up now again. After a very upsetting

I have IBS which flares up now again. After a very upsetting time last weekend I have suffered very badly all week with it, including severe back pain accompanying it

Hello I'm Dr Chip

How may I help you with this please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, it has been far more painful than usual and the back pain, which seems to follow round from the front is severe and is even keeping me awake at night. Also, I generally do not feel very well, I am bloated, not hungry and feel as though I need to open my bowels all the time

How is your IBS being treated?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's not, I usually only have an occasional flare up and as I know what foods normally cause it I tend to avoid them. This time it's seems to have come about from being in a very stressful situation.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The pain in my back is giving me more cause to worry as I am wondering if it could be a kidney problem

Any diarrhea or fever?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, although I did feel feverish earlier this week

OK

First off, this could be a kidney stone

But there might also be a component of a viral gastroenteritis with the bloating

All in all it doesn't sound like an IBS problem

You need to have your doctor evaluate this with an exam, blood work, urinalysis, and a ct scan of the abdomen and pelvis

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your help, I will try to contact my GP tomorrow.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you