Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My question is that I am 6.5 weeks pregnant and for a few

Hi there - My question is that I am 6.5 weeks pregnant and for a few weeks I haven't been able to sleep. My question is whether it is fine from the baby's point of view if I just rest in the bed for 8-9 hours (breathing meditation etc) or should I ask for a sleeping pill prescription? I know sleeping pill poses a risk to the baby but I'm worried that not sleeping may cause a harm in its development. First scan will be in 4 days so trying to put my mind at ease until then as worrying is not helping my sleeping.. Thanks,Cecilia
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you are having difficulty sleeping

not sleeping will not put the baby at risks

how old are you?

have you tried some walking exercise during the day? this could help you sleep better at night time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the reply, I'm 29 years old, have tried walking, yoga etc, I enjoy them but from the sleeping perspective they are not very helpful, I also meditate every day 15 minutes. If baby not at risk I can "survive" just wanted to see if in this case taking a sleeping pill would be recommended, or "resting" is enough for it.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

you are welcome

you can also talk to your doctor about melatonin supplements to help you sleep before bed

you should get your thyroid hromone levels checked as well to make sure they are normal

high thyroid hormone levels in your body can affect your sleep

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com