wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

A couple of days ago I noticed just below my ankle felt a

Customer Question

A couple of days ago I noticed just below my ankle felt a little sore and I thought maybe I had knocked it and was going to get a bruise. The following afternoon it swelled up, still feeling tender to touch. I had no problems walking on it and I could circle my ankle. That evening I over it and kept it elevated. The next day the swelling had gone down but I could feel a sort of pins and needles sensation but it was single type sensation. I have also been taking Nurofen with Ibuprofen. I am a woman soon to turn 51, have had no children, do not smoke, swim 3 to 4 times a week averaging 65 lengths, all front crawl, in a 20m each time, I still have regular periods, my get lower back pain and 2 years ago had an epidural in my hip as I had been suffering with a trapped nerve
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 20 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 20 days ago.

Does the swelling form pits if you press in it with a finger?

Any other symptoms?

Is the area hot to the touch?

Any fever etc?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
There is no pitting and I do not have a fever.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 20 days ago.

thank you for that additional information

Is there anything that might show up in a photograph?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
no
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 20 days ago.

Ok.

Well....given what you have posted, and without doing a complete exam.

That being said, it does not sound like you are suffering from anything that requires immediate medical attention such as a clot, infection, mass or systemic issue.

So. What should you do?

Pretty much what you have already been doing: Elevation and try to stay off your feet.

If issues persist then a visit to your GP on Monday would be in order. However, I expect things to be back to normal by then.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you for your expertise
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 20 days ago.

My pleasure.

I hope you are back to 100% soon :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS