Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

My 22 year old son went to a private dr yesterday and was

Customer Question

my 22 year old son went to a private dr yesterday and was told he has cat scratch fever, we have 3 cats who have never had fleas and as far as i am aware my son has not been scratched or bitten, he now says he has been told to keep away from the cats or it could be very serious. we have a 20' by 20' laundry room where they have a covered litter tray which is cleaned daily and he is insisting its unhygeinic for his clothes and dangerous, the other night he banged his head and although there was no loss of consciousness , blurred vision, nausea or even a bump he called an ambulance at midnight, the checked him and said he was fine, obviously because he is over*****will not discuss any thing with me, I have two problems here, is he right in saying the cats present a problem ? surely if he has the disease already,they won't affect him any more and I am also worried about his state of mind considering his health, what do you feel ?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am not sure if this has gone through as I have had problems logging in, could you let me know it is being reviewed please ?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 18 days ago.

Welcome to just answer

Cats become infected with Bartonella (the bacteria causing cat scratch disease) through flea bites or sometimes cat fights with other infected cats or feline blood transfusions. Some cats become ill, while most simply carry the bacteria in their blood without getting sick. Some studies have found the Bartonella bacteria in the blood of up to 1/3 of healthy cats. So, your son might be having cat scratch disease and your cats while being healthy might be carrying the bacteria.

The best course of action would be to get your cats tested for Bartonella, whether they are carrying this bacteria or not. Also getting them treated by giving anti-flea medication will also take care of the cats carrying this bacteria. For your son, if he has no direct contact with the cats, then he should be safe since this bacteria is transferred by a bite or scratch from an infected or bacteria carrying cat.

Hope this information is helpful

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I know all this, the dr did not do a blood test just told my son he could have it, as I said all my cats are flea free and treated by vet every three months to remain so, my question was, if my son does have it, do the cats continue to be a problem for him ? I understand you cannot contract the disease more than once so getting rid of them will not help , I also commented on his general attitude to his health re calling an ambulance for a minor bump in the middle of the night, am I right to have concerns about his mental health ?
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 18 days ago.

You are definitely right in having concerns regarding his mental health

Reaction to both - the cat scratch disease and the head bump are overboard.

If your cats have a regular follow up with their vet and there is no definite diagnosis, but jut a possibility of the disease in your son, then it makes no sense in getting rid of the cats. First it needs to be confirmed by a blood test of your son if he has this disease. After confirming then you can take a call whether to treat your cats with anti-flea medicine.

But given the history, it seems the issue is not cat scratch disease. Your son has become over sensitive regarding his health. he might have had a simple flu, which he is thinking is cat scratch disease. Also a minor bump with no serious symptoms like loss of consciousness etc does not need an ambulance. the reason for his over senstivity needs to be found out.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** take it further, it is difficult as he is 22 and our Dr will not discuss it with us, but think I need to insist.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 17 days ago.

Glad to be of help

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Cheers

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 15 days ago.

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be very appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance until a positive rating is given.