Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My doctor sent me for blood test which came back as

Customer Question

My doctor sent me for blood test which came back as rheumatoid factor 11.5 and 58 . Vitamin D 56nmol/L . I was referred to a rheumatologist who then took more bloods and X-ray also ultrasound of my hands. I am still in pain with no diagnosis. Lots of back pain for over 3 years . How long should I wait for diagnosis and what do test results mean .
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 17 days ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Your rheumatoid factors are little elevated --which means you may have rheumatoid arthritis.

There can be other autoimmune disorder related arthritis as well.

Your rheumatologist is looking to establish the exact diagnosis by carrying out various autoimmune antibody tests.

The xrays and ultrasound will look for any bony deformity, problem with the synovial joints.

Do you have any follow up appointment with your rheumatologist?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No it has been 3 months and still no appointment. As there is no diagnosis no medication to ease pain. I exsplained I am a care worker therefore I really struggle due to my active role I was told I can have nothing until I get a diagnosis
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 17 days ago.

It is better to call your specialist's office to find out about the results.

You can also copies of the results to upload her for review.

Usually oral steroid like prednisone can be used 20-30 mg daily initially to control your symptoms --that is the initial treatment choice for any autoimmune disorder.