Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My baby is one day old and she was tested for possible

My baby is one day old and she was tested for possible thyroid conditions and she has got high T3 and T4 but they want to do another test in one/two days, other than hyperactive thyroid and or Graves disease what can the results mean, the doctor didn’t tell us much so a endocrinologist is going to see
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 27 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. The most common cause would be lab error. In which case repeat testing should be normal. Second would be maternal thyroid disease with passage of excess thyroid hormones to the baby
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
My wife’s t4 and t3 were all normal her tsh was low but could this cause the baby to have an overactive thyroid?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 27 days ago.
A low tsh means she had subclinical hyperthryoidism. This would make the babies levels high due to transmission through the placenta. But it doesnt make the baby have an overactive thyroid and will resolve in a few days