Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have had an unpleasant metallic taste in my mouth for the

I have had an unpleasant metallic taste in my mouth for the past two days. I am not taking any medication and I don't think it is a dental problem as I only went to the dentist last week. I am in good health otherwise - is this something I should see my GP about?
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 27 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

There are many reasons for a metallic taste in your mouth, which include dehydration/low fluid intake, certain medications, infections in your mouth and sinuses or allergies, certain kinds of foods or vitamins, and Gastroesophageal Reflux.

There are few tips which can help you in controlling this problem...They include;

1. Maintaining a very good oral hygiene, brushing twice daily, and floss your teeth ...

2. Gently scrapping your tongue...

3. Using mouth wash rinses...

4. Using Citric fruits and foods prepared in vinegar base, and ginger are also beneficial....

If despite all the above mentioned measures, the problem does not settle, and is causing you significant problem and is leading to reduced nutritional intake, you can visit your doctor for a detailed assessment.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you. How long should I leave matters before seeing my GP? Should I wait for a few more days or weeks? I don't want to bother my GP unnecessarily but if it could be a symptom of something serious I don't want to delay for long.

I would see my doctor if this persist or does not improve for more than a week or so.

Usually this is not a symptom of something serious/life threatening; therefore its not imperative to see your doctor ASAP.

Good luck

Kindest Regards.