Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had a sigmoidoscopy done 4 days ago with 2 heamaroids

I had a sigmoidoscopy done 4 days ago with 2 heamaroids banded and now have blood on stool, not fresh red blood and nothing on the paper, has me a little worried
Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I have just been diagnosed with IBS but with medication it’s manageable.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had a full range of blood done all normal, occult stool samples clear 2 months ago and occasionally flat stools
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 27 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 27 days ago.

It is pretty much normal, 4 days post banding to see blood on the stools. The reason behind this is that by the 4th day the hemorrhoids that have been banded start to whither off from the banded stalk and this leaves a raw surface on the mucosa of the rectum. When stool passes through the anal canal, the raw surface bleeds due to friction and that blood is seen on the stools.

If you do not have excessive bleeding, fresh red or in the form of blood clots then this nothing to worry about.

I would however, encourage that you keep your stool soft during this time period. Drink more water, walk and eat a high fiber diet.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thanks doctor, I had a blood on the stool since the morning after the procedure. I did notice a band today (if they are green that is). Would you not expect to see blood on toilet paper, it is not bright red either. How long will they bleed for?I am worried that I should now go for full colonoscopy as I have recently being diagnosed with IBS.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 27 days ago.

No, usually the blood only comes out with the stools. Blood on the toilet paper is seen with lesions on the anal verge like acute anal fissures rather than with hemorrhoids or post banding.

Yes, bands can be of different colors but green is the more commonly used because it can be readily seen on the red background.

They can bleed for 4 to 7 days but every day the bleeding should be less than the last.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Just one more to put my mind at rest a little more, the blood is like a jelly type / mucous form is this normal? How long to leave it before going to see a doctor again if it doesn’t stop?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 27 days ago.

Give it 7 days in total after the procedure, if it has not stopped by that time, see your doctor.

Mucus is a normal secretion from the rectum, you see more mucus because the area is still irritated after the procedure. Jelly type blood is because it is less blood and more exudation as a response to healing.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi doctor, I messaged you a few days back regarding 2 heamroids being banded and a little being present in the stool. I am still having this symtom even though I had the procedure on the 13th Novemeber. The blood is still the same (jelly type) and hasn’t increased but hasn’t stopped either which I would of expected by now?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 22 days ago.

Yes, that is correct.

When is your follow up appointment with your surgeon?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I do not have a follow up at the moment as nothing was found during the procedure barring the banding. I did notice a band on Sunday in the stool, but should this have not stopped by now?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The itching has increased a little over the last couple days also.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 22 days ago.

Well, generally we give it 10 days to 2 weeks. But in case it does not stop, schedule an appointment with your doctor.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What could be the other possibilities from these symptoms of the type of blood I am seeing on the stool. It has me slightly concerned.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 21 days ago.

No speculations here, the cause is simply a non healed wound or delayed healing if it does not get better in another week.