Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have got Arthritis and swelling in my legs with a great

I have got Arthritis and swelling in my legs with a great deal of pain when I am walking. My GP has advised Paracetamol to help because I have bad results with any other Medication. Would it be possible to relieve the pain by having them injected instead of Medication. I should be most grateful for your opinion
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 26 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms to help you more efficiently.

How severe is the pain on a scale of 1 to 10 at most?

How much effective is paracetamol to control you pain?

I didn't get any reply; therefore I am posting an answer here for you.

There are 3 kind of therapies that can be used to treat knee pain in Oseoarthritis.

1. Steroid injections: They help provide pain relief and control of inflammation. Usually they can be given 2 to 3 times in a year.

2. Hyaluronic Acid: These injections provide benefit for up to 6 months when given.

3. Botulinum Toxin : Also provides pain and functional relief.

Platelet Rich Plasma injections have also been demonstrated to help this problem.

You can discuss these options with your treating physician, and it would be best if you are referred to a Rheumatologist who can decide which kind of therapy will suit best to your needs.

Please note that Pain medications like paracetamol or NSAID's cant be injected in to the joints.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.