Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

For several months I have been having some urology problems.

Customer Question

For several months I have been having some urology problems. Recently my penis has become sore, and irritated underneath the foreskin. I have had some soreness in my right side of my groin, what felt like a lump/ firmness. Accompanied by some lower back pain, and a stinging sensation in both sides of my legs.I was prescribed Fluconazole (150mg), and a clotrimazole cream. A couple of days after taking the Fluconazole pill I experienced some stinging and a burning sensation when urinating. I noticed some blood in my urine, a very small amount of blood (pink in colour) which came from my glans/uretha opening.By the weekend (2 days later) the burning and stinging sensation subsided. No obvious signs of blood in my urine. I made appointment to see my primary physician. A urine test was administered which tested positive for hematuria in the urine. A swab of my glans was taken for testing.Now, two weeks later. The soreness on my foreskin has cleared up, and the lump to right-side of my groin has begun to disappear, it is not as firm as it was, but still seems bit sore I do still have some lower back pain and pain in my legs (around the thighs).I have noticed the tip of my glans has become white-ish in colour. Over last two weeks, it has faded considerably, and but not completely gone. It is not as noticeable in a flaccid state but seems very prominent when erect (the glands is almost white in colour).I have had the results back from my doctor, and swab test came back clear, but a new urine test has tested positive for blood in the urine again.I have been referred to a specialist/ Urologist and am awaiting further tests, an ultrasound of groin and abdomen area and a cystoscopy. I been told not to worry, but I’m crisis fearing the worst, terrified by the thought of Cystoscopy, and the findings.I’m looking some further guidance on the prognosis.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 28 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

Honestly at your age, we usually don't think of sinister pathologies like a cancer. Your symptoms have considerably improved after taking antifungals, which is a direct clue that the symptoms you have are from an infection.

But having said that, as per standard guidelines, any unresolved or persistent hematuria (blood in the urine) once the infection has been treated, should be evaluated in detail, to rule out any thing serious like a cancer. However there are many benign causes for this, which are much more common than a serious disease like a cancer. These include a residual infection, stones, or kidney diseases.

I can understand that anxiety you are having, but please note that Cystoscopy is the best test to help find a solution to your problem; and irrespective of the underlying condition, the earlier (and properly) it is diagnosed --- better is the prognosis.

Stay relaxed and proceed with the evaluation as rightly suggested by your doctor.

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hi Dr. Sohaib. Thanks for quick response. With regards ***** ***** glans, and tip of my glans becoming white-ish in colour. I have been using the Clotrimazole for two weeks, and seems to be improving but do you think I'm OK to continue using the cream?

This change in color is most likely post inflammatory; doesn't sound serious.

You should continue with the cream as it is helping.

Good luck

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hi Dr Sohaib. I have a follow up question. Can a Cystoscopy detect the presence of a UTI in the bladder?
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 26 days ago.

It is not actually meant to detect an infection, which can be detected easily by a urine test and culture.

Its main utility is to visualize the interior of bladder directly under vision of camera; which can not be done by ultrasound or CT scan.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I understand, thanks, Doc.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hey Doc. I have another question. When my GP took a swab of my penis glans and sent it away for testing. It came back clear. But would a swab test alone detect the presence of UTI? Or would ta Urine sample be needed in order to test throughly through cultures?

Swab test is usually done to detect urethritis; whereas for infection inside the bladder or higher up in the kidneys need urine examination and culture.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hi Dr. Can a cystoscopy procedure definitively diagnose "Cystitis" (if present) and rule it out it as a possibility?
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 23 days ago.

No. More precise test will be urine culture.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Dr. Sohaib. I have taken a home Urine test and Result stick seems to be clear for Blood, however the S.G / Densite tab is showing up as Dark Green. I don't know what this and how to read it? Can you tell me what this colour/ tab means please? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 22 days ago.

Honestly I am not acquainted with this kit so I can not comment.

Take Care