Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I'm trying to figure out what has happened to my hair over

Hello, I'm trying to figure out what has happened to my hair over the last two years. I had a full head of thick hair then suddenly out of the blue it begun falling out. Within a month I had lost possibly 40% of it on top of my head in an even diffuse manner. I was going through a stressful time with a divorce and also taking Citalopram, an ant-depressant. The hair on top of my hair head that was left turned much lighter in colour. Over time the hair has darkened and i also see a lot of regrowth. However there is also a lot of hair that appears to still be lighter in colour and some that has a blonde root that gradually turns to my normal hair colour which is an ashy dark blonde. I haven't really lost my hairline as it still follows the same line it has always has but there is alot of diffuse hair loss behind it. I also see alot of colourless hair growth. Can you tell me what is happening?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 29 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 29 days ago.

I am sorry you have had this hair loss

severe stress like through a divorce can cause hair loss from stress, poor diet, lack of sleep, bad stress.

severe stress can also cause pigment changes in your hair as well.

I am glad you have seen a lot of regrowth

I hope your depression is better

you should see a doctor and get blood testing to check your thyroid hormone levels and iron and ferritin and vitamin D levels. abnormal levels of these can affect your hair

eating healthier and getting more regular exercise can help your hair as well

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Hello Dr David,What I am looking to find out is whether this is down to genetic male pattern baldness or whether it sounds like Telogen Effluvium to you? Why would some hair be regrowing colourless?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 29 days ago.

genetic male pattern baldness would not have return and regrowth of your hair

male pattern baldness would move your hair line.

this doesn't sound like male pattern baldness.

stress would cause your hair to regrow back at different color.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com