Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Iv been told my my GP and a doctor at the emergency

Iv been told my my GP and a doctor at the emergency department that I have suspected gallstones. My pain levels are at a 7/10 and that is with me taking co codamol... My question is I have just seen white specs in my stool and it smelt worse than normal should I be concerned? And should I be looking to head back to the hospital?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 23 days ago.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 23 days ago.

How were the gallstones diagnosed?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
They haven't given me a definite answer. They have just felt my abdomen and back and taken blood tests which showed high markers for infection
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 23 days ago.

Then you probably have both the stones and a gall bladder infection and that would account for the problems with your stool

But if you're still having that much pain you do need to go back to the ER for an ultrasound of the abdomen and antibiotics to calm down the infection

And it may come to your needing surgery to remove the gall bladder

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I was sent away from the emergency department with antibiotics. But I have no been scanned. They said that they would write to my GP then my GP would need to arrange a scan. Previously my stools haven't had white specs so this is a new symptom, would you say it would be best to go back to the hospital, or continue to wait for my GP to arrange a scan
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 23 days ago.

You need to get in touch with your GP as soon as possible then

He needs to see you as soon as possible