Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have been told I have a ‘partial defect in the right

I have been told I have a ‘partial defect in the right proximal transverse sinus still evident although the flow is now reaching the sigmoid sinus.
Can you tell me what a partial filling defect is and can this mean I would be more likely to develop a cerebral venous thrombosis?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 22 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 22 days ago.

what type of radiology study did you have? did you have a CT or MR angiogram?

a filling deficit is when a contrast agent is used in a location, like a GI cavity, bowel, or sinus, or blood vessel

so when the contrast doesn't fill the whole area and this is seen, this is a filling deficit. and means there is something there preventing the contrast from filling the whole area.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I had a MRI scan of the brain looking particularly at the venous to determine if the blood vessels had reopened. The superior Saggital sinus had recanalised but the blood vessel I mentioned in my earlier question showed the blood flow reaching the sigmoid sinus.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 22 days ago.

that partial deficit means there may still be a blood clot or plaque in the blood vessel inside preventing the contrast from going in the whole blood vessel.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What are the implications for me if there is a plaque or blood clot still in the vessel. Considering I might be taken off warfarin in the near future should I be concerned about the filling defect.