Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had a seizure 6 days after a car accident, any advice on

Customer Question

hello, i had a seizure 6 days after a car accident, any advice on what may of caused this i was awake and alert when the seizure was happening, my arm was jerking and my head was twisting to the side, i diddnt eat and drink or look after myself the week after the accident, i was under emotional distress. it came on after i went for a run. could this be related to a seizure problem, or was it the stress and lifestyle.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 21 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 21 days ago.

I am sorry you had seizures after a car accident.

severe stress and emotional distress and not eating and not sleeping can put stress on your body and increase the likelihood for seizures.

also trauma to the brain and head after a car accident can cause bleeding below the bone and this can cause headaches and put pressure on the brain and cause seizures as well

you should have had a brain CT scan to look for bleeding under the bone in your skull to see

did you have a brain CT scan?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
okay many thanks dr
Expert:  Dr. David replied 21 days ago.

did you see my reply above?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i can only text dr
Expert:  Dr. David replied 21 days ago.

did you have a brain CT scan?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i diddnt have a ct scan, i was told it was nothing, just a bit of whiplash they diddnt feel a ct was nessariry
Expert:  Dr. David replied 21 days ago.

well, if you had a seizure, maybe it wasn't nothing

in the USA, you would have had a head CT scan

since you had a seizure, you need a brain CT scan or brain MRI scan now.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i was alert during it so could it of been a drug side effect
Expert:  Dr. David replied 21 days ago.

what drug are you taking that it would be the side effect?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i was taking co cocdamol for the first week and they arnt ment to be taken with a head injury, and they gave me them for neck pain. plus i stopped taking them, then i had a seizure..
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i stopped taking them 2 days prior to have the seizure
Expert:  Dr. David replied 21 days ago.

so you had head injury from your car accident.

and you had a seizure? you should get a brain CT scan

stopping the co codamol usually doesn't cause seizures.

it would be a shame if you had a bleed in your brain and it was assumed it was caused by the co codamol instead of checking for the bleed

do you know the story of actress Natasha Richardson who Died of an Epidural Hematoma After a Skiing Accident

she hit her head skiing and this caused a bleed in her brain which she died from.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
can stopping cocodmal cause seizures?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i diddnt hit my head in the car accident.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 21 days ago.

stopping co cocodmal can in some patients cause seizures

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
okay, how long does that last for or will you have the one then when the withdrawal stops the seizure stop
Expert:  Dr. David replied 21 days ago.

when the withdraw symptoms stop, the seizures should stop

if the seizures continue, you need a brain CT scan

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
okay thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 21 days ago.

you are welcome

do you see the ratings area?

do you have other questions?