Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

My husband has recently been diagnosed with Lyme disease,

My husband has recently been diagnosed with Lyme disease, are there any NHS specialists who deal with the treatment of Lyme?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms to help you more efficiently.

When was he diagnosed? And is he receiving any treatment by your GP?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We had a series of tests done at a private clinic (Breakspear Medical in Hemel Hempstead). Two out of three tests gave positive results, including Western Blot. My husband has had 6 weeks on antibiotics by twice weekly injection at the clinic, plus probiotics and vitamin and mineral supplements, and we have followed a gluten, yeast & sugar-free diet. He has also had an iron infusion and Vitamin B & D injections. To date there is no improvement in symptoms. We think he has had Lyme for around 3 years with steadily increasing symptoms.The clinic and treatments are very expensive (we are on a very limited income) plus it is a 2-hour 90 mile journey for us.

For sure he needs further medical attention and NHS definitely has facilities to take care of Lyme's disease.

You nee to have a referral first from the GP. Your need to tell the GP all the details and treatment he has been taking with no improvement at all.

With Post-infectious Lyme disease (late symptoms) or long-lasting symptoms, you would be referred to an infectious disease specialist/unit in the vicinity as appropriate.

ID specialist are specially trained to deal with Lyme's and its related complications.

Also he might require appropriate referrals to Neurologist or Cardiologist if the disease is affecting his major organs; and NHS provides these services.

Was it helpful?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you, ***** ***** speak to our GP.

That will be great.

Good luck and I wish him speedy recovery

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Our GP has been helpful in the past so I am sure she will be again.