Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

My son came home with a fever of 40.2 from school on last

My son came home with a fever of 40.2 from school on last Wednesday and vomiting started on Thursday and diarrhoea started on Friday. He was diagnosed with Gastroenteritis. He still has diarrhoea and a fever although it is not as high as last week. He also vomited today again after 2 days without vomiting. He is not going to school since last Wednesday. I want to have a second opinion and should we see our GP again?

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

How old is he ? Very sorry to hear about that. Has he underwent any tests? Any treatment received?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is 6 years old. No tests are done. We were told it is a probably Viral gastroenteritis. We are trying give them Dioralyte oral solutions but it is really hard as it makes him feel sick. He is eating a little bit and drinking water only.

Alright ,well the most important thing is to keep him well hydrated and replenish the fluid / electrolytes with pedualyte or ORS. Gastroenteritis can cause fever, diarrhoea and vomiting . Viral illness can take more time sometimes . So you just need to manage his fever with tylenol / acetaminopen. Probiotics can help .

Keep him on soft BRAT diet- banana, rice, applesauce and tomato.

Let me know if you have any more queries

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the longest time this virus can take to go away? His fever has never been there for this long before so I am a bit worried and also can vomiting and diarrhoea come and go?

The symptoms can last as long as 10 days. If he doesnt improve then a course of antibiotic may be required for possible superimposed viral infection .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much.

You are most welcome.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.