Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I'm 70 years of age just retired. I've always kept myself

I'm 70 years of age just retired. I've always kept myself active. Over the last 3 months or so I've had continual lower backache and sciatica type pain down my left leg. Been to see my own GP she took blood tests and back xray, blood test normal and the xray showed osteoporosis setting in at present 4%, she gave me 1 course of naproxen. I've bought a Revitive machine which I've just started to use. As it's coming up to Christmas not able to get an appointment until after the holidays. Is there any medication other than paracetamol which will help to relieve the discomfort.
Oenwen Jones

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Very sorry to hear about that. NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen can help. Ibuprofen is available OTC. Another good option is co-codamol ( contains codeine with paracetamol ) .You can also use topical Capsaicin for relieving lower back ache.

Physiotherapy, warm compresses and rest all have a role.

If these measures fail then next step should be adding a nerve pain medicine like pregabalin or gabapentin. But these would require prescription.

I hope you feel better with these options.

Let me know if you have any further queries

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.