Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

How is bacterial pneumonia is contagious? My mum was

Hi,How long is bacterial pneumonia is contagious? My mum was diagnosed with it. She was in hospital for a few days and was given antibiotics there and then she took further antibiotics tablets at home for a week. I have 6 years old and 9 months old children. We want to know if we can visit her with children.Thanks.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

After 72 hours of treatment with antibiotics, the possibility of transmission of the bacterial pneumonia is negligible and almost zero. So, with the antibiotic at the hospital and a week of treatment at home she is no longer infectious and you can safely visit her with children.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Dr!

Dear customer,
You are very welcome!!
Glad that I could help.