DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

How do i have to wait for my chesty cough to clear before i

how long do i have to wait for my chesty cough to clear before i can start exercising

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Since how long you have this cough ?

Any other symptoms ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have churg strauss syndrome, i'm female 32 and was diagnosed when i was 19. i generally have little symptoms aside from hayfever, asthma, nasal polyps. I'm on prednisolone a few times a year, generally low doses and usually no longer than a week at a time. I caught a cold back in October with the usual headache, achy feeling, stuffy nose, sore upper chest followed by a chesty cough. When my cough persisted for a couple of weeks, i was given a course of amoxillin. 2 and bit weeks later i got re infected and same again, sore painful chest followed by chesty cough. up until 2 days ago i was coughing and waking up in the night. this has now stopped, i'm still coughing during the day and bringing up a lot of mucus. clear to yellow in colour.

'This shows that infection is partially recovered as you still have yellow sputum

You need to have culture of sputum to identify the exact pathogen and treat accordingly

You can do mild exercise but not a strenuous one at the moment for example like brisk walk

Please do let me know if you have any more questions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you doctor, is there anything i can do to avoid a cold turning into a chest infection? that's what usually happens when i get ill and it usually progresses the same way... feeling unwell, very stuffy nose, a lot of mucus, sore chest followed by a chesty cough. can you recommend anything i could do ? are supplements worthwhile?

Actually when you take steroids for a long duration it lowers the immunity and can cause issues like recurrent infections

As long as you will be taking steroids this unfortunately can happen any time and there is no multi vitamin to boost immunity in this scenario