Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis I am

I have both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis I am also have diabetes type 2.
Recently I have been getting stabbing pains in my two thumbs and index fingers, also in both feet which seems to be much worse at night, making it exceedingly difficult to sleep. I take 200mg of hydroxchloquine, 4x 500 mg of Sulphazidene, and 500mg of Metformin, also 2 x15mg Lansiprazole. Have you any idea what could be causing the pain, at worst it is like a small electrical shock. I am 76 years old

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

This sounds like a peripheral neuropathy problem and most likely it's from your diabetes

But it could be from a low magesium or low vitamin B12 problem

You need to see your doctor about this and you need some blood work and nerve conduction studies to check those

The low magnesium or B12 can be treated with magnesium supplements or B12 injections and the diabetic neuropathy can be treated with either Neurontin or Lyrica

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I am not sure about this diagnosis as my Diabetes is very well controlled. Before getting Rheumatoid Arthritis I had Palendromic arthritis and the pains I am getting are similar but don’t last anywhere as long, and flit from place to place in seconds.

Even with well controlled diabetes there can be diabetic neuropathy but again it might be B12 or magnesium

But this doesn't sound like an arthritis problem of any kind

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Many thanks I will go and see my doctor as soon as possible

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you