wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I'm looking for some advice if a provisional diagnosis isn't

Hi, I'm looking for some advice if a provisional diagnosis isn't possible. I hope I'm not wasting your time.I have had flu like symotoms almost continuously since around 14 December. My shoulder joints ache, my groin around my glands ache, I've found it tricky to get warm then overheated. From 24 - 27 December I slept 30 hours in 48 hours, although I spent the majority of the following days with incredible malaise and not able to do very much.I lost about 6lbs in a week.I returned to work from Xmas break on 8 January and felt better for the first couple of days then had to take leave as I felt so rundown, had headaches, aching down my arms, a sore throat and a prickly skin feeling on my back. This hadn't completely gone away and last week I had to take a day off to rest, and this weekend I feel as under the weather as I did at Xmas. I have aches in my glands in my armpits and groin, my neck is stiff, and I lack any energy.As context, I usually boulder/indoor climb twice a week, regularly trail ride on my mountain bike, exercise almost daily with calisthenics or kettlebells for example. I'm 43, I'm comfortabe with being a few pounds overweight at 13st 6lbs and 5' 10".My first thought was it was flu but as it's now 5+ weeks it seems more like glandular fever/mononucleosis.Any thoughts or advice on this welcome. Thanks, Matthew

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Matthew,

It could still be residual effects from the Nasty flu that has come North from Australia.

That being said, it probably wouldn't hurt to have your GP take a look at you and do some simple blood work and, maybe, an imaging study.

It doesn't seem like this is the sort of thing you are going to be able to make better with over the counter or home therapy.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Dr. Rick. Your advice is much appreciated. I'll contact my GP tomorrow accordingly.Matthew

My pleasure.