wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

My left middle finger has swolen and has been like the for

My left middle finger has swolen and has been like the for about a week and now there is been forming around it, it hurt sometimes and when I hit it or touch it, it hurts, I searched it online and it said I was from nail biting which I do and that it's called Paronychia, what should I do to make it better

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Yup. That sure looks like paronychia....

You can try treating this yourself with hot compresses to the affected area at least 4 times a day.

If your finger doesn't show some improvement in a day or so then you will probably need oral antibiotics. I like to use augmentin 875mg every 12 hours for 7 t0 10 days.

In some cases an abscess has formed and will need to be surgically drained. This can be done in the office and take but a few minutes.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you very much when I searched this online before asking for help I also found that if I wanted to treat it myself I could use warm water to heal it and now that you have also suggested the same thing I will give it a go and see if it gets any better, thanks again!

My pleasure :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS