Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I quite certain that my husband is having some sort of

Customer Question

Hi, I quite certain that my husband is having some sort of breakdown. He walked out after 16 years leaving me and my 16 month old son. He said he was unhappy and had been for a while even though the week before he left he was talking about booking a holiday. Since he left he has been volitle and threatens to sell the house from under me and at one point threatened to call social services because I'd cried in front of my son. He said he doesn't love me and wants a quick divorce. He told me several times he had filed and hadn't. He's said he doesn't know when he stopped loving me but knows he doesn't now. He has since filed for divorce and I have been dating. He said he is fine about this however mentions it often and gets quite angry and spiteful but maintains he's happy that I'm moving on. He is making very rash decisions in relation to the divorce which are going to be quite costly. I have no concerns about him being around my son. He looks worse every time I see him, he's lost weight, bloodshot eyes etc. I'm confused by his actions and am sure there is no one else involved in his decision to leave. Is it possible that he is suffering with some sort of mental health problem and would this make him behave in this way?
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Anyone there?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 10 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 9 months ago.

do you still need help on this one?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
please

It sounds more like alcohol or drug abuse.

is this possible?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I haven't seen him touch alcohol in around 2 years. I doubt drug abuse as he's still holding down a job and appears to be working well over his hours evenings and weekends which he doesn't get paid for

60% of drug abusers and alcoholic hold steady jobs

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've never smelt drunk on him and I still see him quite a bit. What signs would there have been before he left that I might have noticed if there were drugs involved?

any issues with money?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No none at all
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

The other expert has opted out.

Yes, it is possible that he has a mental health issue that is contributing to his behavior, and that includes alcohol or drug abuse, but there are also some men that dump their wives without any mental health issues.

However, there is no direct way that you can find out whether he has a mental health issue, so it is usually better for you to not dwell on that issue. If he has a mental health issue, then it is his responsibility to seek care for a proper assessment and management. You need to focus on what is important for you and your son.

If i can provide any clarification, please let me know.