Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I'm a thirty year old man, who has been disgruntled with my

Customer Question

I'm a thirty year old man, who has been disgruntled with my lack of ability when it comes to anything of serious academic rigor. It has quashed by career chances, in that I find frequently, that I am just unable to cope with workloads, attention and working memory that usually means that I leave classes more confused and less ambitious than when I first started trying to better myself.This has led to chronic self-loathing and a hatred of my own inabilities, which has been a life long battle psychologically speaking, which has resulted in bouts of depression and apathy. I've been medicated in the past, so whilst the feelings of dread and anxiety were stunted, and I felt better in general, the apathy was greater than ever. Nothing got done, I neglected myself because I didn't feel the need to do anything, so I decided to withdraw from my medication 3 months ago. Since then, I have become a ball of neuroses, desperate to cling on to bettering myself, but without the cognition to get through anything.I have been toying with the idea of studying animal behaviour, but I feel that I am just not competent enough, intellectually, to cope with the demands of constant study. Plus the amount of back-study I will have to complete, and money in pre-bacholar level education is also making it very difficult to put myself into a position that I feel confident with.I feel defective, as everyone I come across seems to be more competent and more 'conscious' to the world, whilst I am mostly in my own world of fog and lack of clarity when it comes to focus and drive, with zero motivation. I am unsure on how to resolve these issues, to the point that I do physically hate the person I am, because I feel like I am trapped in this inadequate shell.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 15 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 15 days ago.

I am sorry you are having these issues.

what medications where you taking before?

you may need to go back on these medications

you may benefit from seeing a psychotherapist for regular talk therapy and psychotherapy.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I was on Sertraline, but they just muted the anxiety rather than contributed to any improvement in concentration or cognitive behaviour. In fact, I became more apathetic because I literately couldn't take anything seriously any more because nothing seemed to mean anything anymore. I stopped listening to music because I didn't receive any emotional impact from it.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 15 days ago.

I see.

you may need to find another medication which may work better for you

like effexor or wellbutrin or neurontin or amitriptyline

you may benefit from something like Vyvanse which is a CNS stimulant which could help you concentrate better.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com