Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I Have a 2005 Vito 115, he dash lights are going out and a

Customer Question

I Have a 2005 Vito 115, he dash lights are going out and a message appearing on the on boared computer display "emergency lighting on"
Please can you tell me if there is a known cause.
Brent
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Ideally you need to get the vehicle plugged into a scan tool to ge the error codes off as there are a couple of possibilities for this

1st thing to check is Fuse 21 as it protects the light switch (S1) and this has a history of failing

let me know what you find
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for that.

The fuse is intact however i have changed it as a matter of course. The occurance is intimitant that is to say the dash lights go of the emergency lighting message comes on, then a while later evrything returns to normal. And so the cycle goes.

As it is intamitent I would not have thought it could be a fuse. Any other thoughts?

Brent

Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.
Hello Brent

in that case I'd check over the connections to the light switch and measure the resistances across the switch as they have been known to fail internally and create an internal short which then puts the lighting module into this 'emergency mode'