Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Hi I have an E430 est. 2001 first thing in the morning when

Customer Question

Hi I have an E430 est. 2001 first thing in the morning when i stop at lights I feel vibration,
as the day goes on it improves. My mechanic is going to check O senors (2 of wich were replaced in 2010). When he first plugged the car in it said dodgy Cam bust module. What is that & where is it located? The car drives really well. What do you think?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Walt

Thanks for getting back to me. If you can get an answer in the next couple of days that will be fine, the car will probably go in next week. As I said I would like to have an answer for the mechanic or at least some suggestions as a starting point.

Brent

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Walt

I've waited this long so another couple of days won't make that much difference. Have not booked the car in yet so do your best!!!

Brent

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello Brent

I think your mechanic is referring to the cam position sensor

this is located on the end of one of the cam covers

however there are many possibilites for this vibration as I suspect its may be a misfire Ideally if you can get a diagnostic fault code read off it ( if the check engine light is on) this would greatly speed up the repair

Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

You can also try spraying some water on the coil pack with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.

I'd check the condition of the injector plugs / connections as this could be a lean misfire if an injector isn't firing properly - the best way to check this is with a 'noid' light

http://www.noidlight.com/

Then check all the connections to the engine sensors one at a time, remove each one and examine for signs of corrosion or damage and a squirt of contact cleaner ( not WD40) will also help.

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Matt

Thanks for your answer, I'll print it off and let my mechanic see it when

it goes in for repair.

Brent

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
No problem Brent