Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Last week my 1999 Vito 112CDi popped a fuel line/injector and

Customer Question

Last week my 1999 Vito 112CDi popped a fuel line/injector and sprayed a tank of diesel all over the M6.
Recovery people took it into a garage and removed airfilter/fuel pump/engine mount etc and said a small clip had broken holding the line to the injector.
£200 later... the van won't go above 70mph (even downhill) and not above 2500 revs. It's as if someone has fitted a restrictor?
Before it was cruising at 80mph and had plenty spare.
It did have an in-line hand pump fitted but was always compressed for some reason?
Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you on this...

When you say, it "did have an in - line pump fitted "... does it not now?

Have you asked the garage about this ?

Do you get any fault lights on the dash at all?

Does it blow excess smoke at all - and if so, what colour?

Rgds, MIKE.............................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was an aftermarket in-line hand pump for when you run out of fuel, I guess. It was compressed which didn't look right, so I took it off.
No faults on the dashboard.

Only a little smoke on start up. It's only done 75,000 miles and I've got the service history.

It was fine before the fuel leak.

I was wondering if it's an air filter/fuel pump restriction?

Does it have an EMU?

I've hired a Sprinter that had an 80mph restriction fitted by the dealer. It feels like that. you get to a certain speed/revs and it tails off even with you foot flat on the floor? Pulls nicely at lower speeds and through the gears.

From reading on the net, it seems they have problems with fuel pumps etc.

Chris

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Chris -

Thank you for your reply.

Thats ok then with the primer unit - The aftermarket ones, some will do that ..its not a problem.

It could well be a restricted air or fuel filter yes - that should be checked / renewed if the air filter is bad - and the fuel filter is old.

These do have an Emu yes but I wouldn't expect any issues there at all not with this.

Yes I understand the issue you describe, ie, as if its got a governor / speed restricter on it -but nothing like that will have been done -at least, I wouldn't have thought so ... it is done by programming the pump - it may be worth asking the garage if they did that ...and then go from there.

If not, then it sounds very much as though the system has either not been bled properly or, more likely , its sucking air somewhere that will have to be traced / found and cured. Bear in mind that this system can draw / suck air without it leaking any diesel out so it can be hard to spot visually -but its worth making a good inspection. I also suggest check the connections of the pipes are all tight etc - but do not undo anything though with the engine running - that can be highly dangerous on these.

If you cannot find anything working as above Chris - it will need equipment / test equipment connecting on to see whets wrong.. It could even be an injector fault too.... it has been known after replacement but you cannot determine that without the proper test equipment on it.

I would suggest visually check and check the connections etc as above - but then after that if you dont find anything to cure it, re contact the garage as above - they shouldn't have let you have it back like that so essentially it can be argued that the job has not been done right for you. Let me know how you go on..

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.