MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

airmatic visit workshop

Customer Question

my 2001 mercedes s320 is showing airmatic visit workshop, she is stuck in raised position. no mater what i do with the control switch on dash. rear of the car is totally up making the suspension bang when i hit any little bump. all appears normal on the control switches on dash. ie when pressed they red light comes on etc.

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

The Airmatic system is electronically controlled and has its own ECU with a diagnostic fault memory. In the first instance the car should be checked for fault codes using a diagnostic tool such as Mercedes STAR to see what fault codes are stored.

It could be many possibilities but it may be worth checking the level sensors as one may be stuck in the raised position - there is a sensor on each of the front upper suspension arms and 1 sensor for the rear on the rear anti roll bar.

I have seen the links to these break & the sensors stick in the up position causing the suspension to raise.

This is only one possibility and once the faults are checked in the Airmatic system it should help give a clearer picture of the problem with your vehicle.

Best regards, Paul