Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

gear will move to park revears drive and neutral but wonte

Customer Question

gear will move to park revears drive and neutral but wonte go sidewards to idividual gears
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

I'd 1st take a look at the gear linkage on the top of the gearbox if you check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watching the linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.

If all seems Ok then its very likely to be an internal fault with the gearbox I'm afraid

which means gearbox off and to be stripped down
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure you understood my question?

There is no play or wear in the lever or linkages.

As I said before park, reverse, drive and neutral can be selected as normal with the lever, but the lever will not move to the right to enable you to select individual gears 4-1.

Hope you can help.

Regards, Bill.

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello Bill

OK

the gear selector on the auto box is very susceptible to moisture damage either from spilled drinks or just relative humidity. Usually the fix will involve dis-assembly of the shift mechanism and cleaning and lubricating the shaft and bearing of the lever and the detent mechansiim and also treating the micro switch that selects each gear with dielectric grease.

if you are confident in tackling this sort of thing then pitch in but if you've any doubt about it then leave it to the garage as its a tricky mechanisim to strip down and rebuild