Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My E200 windscreen wiper comes on automatically [unless it

Customer Question

My E200 windscreen wiper comes on automatically [unless it decides not to!] is this a maintenance/cleaning issue or does the switch arm need renewing and how do you do either
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you on this...

This to be honest on this model / year, is usually a fault on the switch itself... the switch tends to go faulty internally and with the ign on that means that usually with the vibration of the car, it causes the contact to "Make" - and hence it comes on.

Because of the way they are wired though - it can be a motor fault... so, what I suggest you do is check / have the switch checked out first - as thats the common issue - but if its not that , check the relay / wiper motor next.

It wil be one or the other - its a case of having the circuit checked through as above to properly ID the cause of the fault on this.

Let me know if you need anything more at all-

>> >> >> > Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I "check the switch" and the wiper motor? It's not the relay I've replaced that.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Kevin..

Thank you for your reply... and my apologies that I could only just get back to you -

Do you have a test meter / test equipment ?

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no equipment as yet what do I need? Is the switch in the switch arm/indicator arm and how do I remove it from the steering column to check it or is it elsewhere?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Kevin..

You would need a test meter or at least a 12v test lamp / probe.

That is the switch you refer to yes - you have to remove the steering wheel if you need to replace the switch - if yours has an air bag , you must follow proper procedures for safety to remove that...

I will give you a general image to give you an idea as to how it comes apart - I dont have a lot on that age of vehicle, you may find it better to obtain a repair manual should you wish to do the whole job so that you can refer back to it continualy as you work..just a suggestion..

For the image, click below..

Once you are at the switch connections etc its a case then of testing the circuits to see what's happening.

If its not the switch at fault as above, then the control module will be the usual fault - if it should come to that , you will most likely need garage help with that -

When working on the above system / electrics , do be extremely careful - incorrect probing of wires can cause back -feed which can cause damage to control computers on this marque.

Here is the image I promised -

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

I hope that all helps you further..

Best Rgds, MIKE..

-- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that...

Rgds, MIKE.