Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My Mercedes CL500 has suddenly just died, it has no electrical

Customer Question

My Mercedes CL500 has suddenly just died, it has no electrical systems working at all, dash board shows no lights, doors will not lock,engine will not turn over etc., almost as if the battery has been removed, this happened yesterday as I pulled into my drive, was running absolutley fine.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

My name is MIKE - Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question..

Please let me know if you do still need help with this...

If so - please tell me what has been done / tried so far --

Kind Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike,

Yes I would still like an answer, the car has not been touched since the question was first asked.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Terry -

Thank you for your message -

Ok - for this to have happened, a complete power loss , would tend to indicate dead battery - and it could be just that...

The first thing to do then is check the physical condition / tightness of the battery connectors - ( and main fuses ) and cable connections ( inc earth circuit ) , then if all is ok there ,using a meter - test the condition of the battery....

What can happen is , due to either a failed battery or charge system fault.. the car can drive ok - and then when the revs ( charge rate ) drop low - as it would when you pull up- it just dies... ( you dont always get indication of this on the dash as you drive )

So what you need to do is determine why this has happened as above. If need be, connect up a jump pack or jump leads - or fit a known good battery..and retry all.. If the electrics are then all ok and the car starts with the additional / replacement battery / power supply - then the charge system needs to be checked. With a meter it should show show circa 14.5 volts running - If the meter shows 12v or less...or 14.9 v or higher- the base fault is a fault with the charge system ( alternator / system ) which then will need further investigation - but at this point you could drive it to a garage like that if need be to do that ...

So work through / forward as above on this Terry -let me know how you go..

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.