Mike
Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I own a 1997 SLK 2300 Kompressor. Having starting problems-

Customer Question

I own a 1997 SLK 2300 Kompressor.
Having starting problems- car will start sometimes and run OK but then more often than not when turning key there is nothing - engine does not turn over at all, just whirring noises under the bonnet - all dashboard lights working OK - brand new battery fitted.
The fault is intermittent with no particular circumstances evident. Garage(not Mercedes)cannot find problem or anything showing up on diagnostic check.
Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no problem in waiting - thanks. We are desperate to find out any possible cause.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any news yet ?

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK- no problem

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you .. Sorry to see you have had a wait..

Just before I progress - can you please tell me if you have had anything done meantime - since asking your question....?

Plus - please if you can, give me the Full reg number of the car so I can ID it exactly..

Kind Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car is now registered in France and was on a personalised plate when we bought it in the UK - R7 CWL - the owner kept the plate and re-registered the car with the DVLA with a new registration of R531VHE.

The VIN is as follows : WDB1704472FO41081.

Since my original enquiry have tried several times to start the car but with no luck- all dash lights come on, a few whirring noises, but absolutely nothing else. Interestingly, my garage has phoned to tell me they have another client who has just reported exactly the same problem.

MIke

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Mike... Thank you for your reply - info.

The problem is as with any intermittent issue - it its working ok when its checked / tested... then they are not able to see what's wrong..

But your symptoms- that of the whirring noises - seem to indicate a faulty starter motor... evidently its working some of the time ( when tested ! )... but that is the usual cause of this issue with the symptoms you describe.

I would suggest though - though I imagine / would think they have checked - but just in case - ensure the wiring and especially the battery cable connectors to the starter motor... ( the main large one not the small one ) are checked for condition / security. A bad connection will cause low voltage / high resistance and you will get that "whirring" you mention - because there is not enough power to fully correctly operate the starter itself. Too - ensure the main engine to body earth strap is top condition - if not, you will get this issue.

If that all checks out - then again , the starter itself is suspect and should be investigated further....

The circuit can be tested - for full power supply much as above back up through the relay / fuse box too.... One way or the other , with what you have described, the fault will be found that way for sure.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Mike

Have just been to try again - the whirring I mentioned, we think is the fan turning over. Interestingly the starter turned over for a fraction of a second , maybe a quarter of a turn, but not enough to start the car. Is this any further help to your diagnosis?

Mike

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

Did you get my last note re the whirring noise which I believe is the fan?