Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

AMG 1999 E class W210 series, E55. Issues with the suspension,

Customer Question

AMG 1999 E class W210 series, E55. Issues with the suspension, had the car from new, done 300,000 miles, recently, noticing she grounds out far more than she used to, speed bumps, she hits the deck. It was always low, but now seems to hit the ground at any speed. Decided to buy new set of road springs, from Merc, fitted, NO BETTER!

The gap between the top of the tire and the wing, is only about 1 or 2 cms, can't really remember what is was like when new. I understand you can buy spacers from MB (cheap) up to 21 mm. but also started to wonder if the shocks are not working properly.

They are oil shocks, as far as I know, and there is a button in the car for stiff/normal suspension, doesnt seem to make any difference.

Question...

1. Do the shocks wear out? Given these are original, its perhaps the answer?
2. Any ideas? With new springs, I cant see what else might cause this?

Nick
Hampstead, North London.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will wait a day or so, but find someone who is good on Mercs. Cheers

Nick

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, can you post your vin number for me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WDB2100742A859917

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
I have received your reply but the system is not letting me reply with an answer. I will get this corrected as soon as possible and reply back.
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Ok, your Mercedes has the self leveling system. A common cause of bottoming out on this model is faulty pressure accumulators in the rear. The accumulators provide the dampening for the shocks. The part number for the accumulators is 140 328 05 15. There are 2 accumulators in the system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Can't believe I had the car for this long and didn't realise that. Can you tell me where they are situated? Presumably one for fronts, one for rear?

I ask also because it's hard to understand what can actually go wrong with these, I though they were just roughly spherical balls, to retain pressure in the system, they have no moving parts within them, just a pressure vessel? Or do they do more?

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, they are a nitrogen filled sphere that provide back pressure on the fluid in the system. Both are located at the rear suspension near the rear shocks. When the spheres lose their nitrogen charge the no longer dampen the suspension and the car bottoms out in the rear. The fluid level in the system also needs checking at the suspension reservoir under the hood.