mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Ive a new shape 315 CID sprinter, leaking water steady, cant

Customer Question

I've a new shape 315 CID sprinter, leaking water steady, can't find from where, pressure testing, dye tested for head gasket and all fine, blowing hot and cold air in cab from fan, changed thermostat, water pump, even water bottle sensor to try and get the dash light out but no good, eventually if van left idling for long period it would boil out over expansion bottle, then 2 weeks into new water pump it bust out thru the main shaft in it, there is no oil in the water and even checked the oil for water but nothing, new water pump now and drilled a few holes in thermostat to relieve pressure, still a lot there and water light still on, hellllpppppppppp
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name isXXXXX will
do my very best to assist you with your question today.

Did the issue just start one day,meaning did a coolant component fail and then this issue was present?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It started one morning a few minutes from cold, the water light came on, it was blowing cold air constant then, so the thermostat was changed being the first thing you would do in that case, leaked water constantly then but from where I do not know, no visible signs of steam out of exhaust either, but now there is a lot of pressure in the water pipes and blowing the water back out the bottle plus busting the new water pump

Ok,this sounds like the leak might have originally started from a leak in the seam of the heater core inside the dash.Because the vehicle is building up pressure like this,a block test now needs to be performed,this test will test for hydro-carbons in the coolant system and if found the head,head gasket,or block is the issue.As far as the heater there is not a real easy way to check this without removing the dash to the point of seeing it.It is inclosed in a plastic box and most time can leak and the fluid never hit the carpet.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I was thinking from the dash from the start and maybe the head now, don't think it's the block or the sleeve on the cylinders because the van is running well and doesn't dip in power at all :(
Yes I agree with you,i'm leaning towards the head as well.Unfortunately if the vehicle fails the block test the head will need to be removed to inspect for the issue.
Let me know if you need further assistance,

Thank you and don't forget to rate the
answer for me, you can always respond back to this question at any time even
after rating.