Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

I need to put some auto trans oil in the auto box but I cant

Customer Question

I need to put some auto trans oil in the auto box but I can't get the dip stick out, there is a red plastic tab on the dip stick do I snap that off to get the dip stick out?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, the red plastic tab is a lock for the cap but there is no transmission dipstick installed on the SLK. You will need a special Mercedes dipstick tool in order to check the transmission fluid level. Click here for the dipstick tool. The red tab is broken out of the cap and the cap is removed and the dipstick is inserted into the tube until it touches the bottom of the pan then the dipstick is removed and the level read on the bottom of the dipstick. You will need to purchase a new lock tab to relock the cap but most of the time we just reinstall the cap without the lock. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have sold the car
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi Len, thank you for getting back to me. Was the information I provided about checking the transmission fluid helpful?