Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

R class 320 57 plate is not shifting gears properly ? What

Customer Question

R class 320 57 plate is not shifting gears properly ?
What can the problem be ?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
HI, my name is Marty and I will be glad to help you with this problem. The most common cause of erratic shifting on the R class is a faulty electrohydraulic control unit in the transmission. The control unit incorporates the transmission computer and the transmission valve body all in one. It is not unusual for the speed sensors in the control unit to fail and cause erratic shifts. A diagnostic scan with the Mercedes Star Diagnosis tester will need to be performed on the transmission to check for relevant fault codes. The fluid level and condition of the fluid should also be checked. If the control unit is suspect the transmission pan will need to be removed in order to replace the control unit. Estimated cost for this repair is approximately £1300.

Please let me know if you have any questions.