Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

mercedes cls 2005 , the steering wheel buttons not working

Customer Question

mercedes cls 2005 , the steering wheel buttons not working and red batery sign in my dash
coming on. any ideas??
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is Marty and I'll be glad to help you with this problem. Most likely your steering column control module has failed. The module reads in the signals from the steering wheel buttons and the air bag. If the module fails or if there is a connection or communication problem to the module it will cause this problem. You are going to need to have the car connected to a Mercedes diagnostic tester to read out the fault codes in the steering column and air bag systems. Most likely there will be fault codes indicating a faulty steering column module. The fuses in the fuse box at the end of the dash should be checked. Fuse 29 in the fuse box powers the module but I would test them all with a voltmeter or a test light. If the fuses are good you will most likely need to replace the steering column module. Please let me know if you have any questions.