Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

When I turn the ignition and dashboard lights come on my wipers

When I turn the ignition and dashboard lights come on my wipers and indicators work but when I turn car on wipers and indicators do NOT work merc c320 gu52 ozf
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name isXXXXX'll be glad to help you with this. Can you please post your 17 digit vin number for me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im at work at the moment so will have to do when I get home tonioght

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Ok Tim, I have some thoughts on this but need the vin number to look up the correct diagram. I'll wait to hear from you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

VIN is WDC2030642R018595 and reg is GU51OZF not GU52OZF as stated earlier

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tim, this problem is most likely going to be a faulty ignition switch. When the switch returns from the start position it will sometimes not make the contact internally to operate the wipers and signals. The wiper switch and the turn signal switch signals go from the combination switch on the column to the ignition switch then the ignition switch processes the signals and sends them to the front signal acquisition module. Since everything works with the key on but don't work after you turn the key to start and release it the problem will most likely be an internal fault in the ignition switch. You may be able to nudge the key a little bit in one direction or the other as a test and get the wipers and signals to work after you have started the car. I'd turn the wipers on and then try moving the key a little bit. Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thats great but what do you suggest I do re resolve the issue going forward. So when you say foulty ignition switch do you mean the key..??

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tim, I am referring to the ignition switch in the dash not the key. You can try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the ignition switch and then insert the key and rotate it back and forth a few times and see if it helps. Otherwise you are going to need to replace the ignition switch. Press in on the door of the ignition switch with a pencil eraser and then spray the contact cleaner into the switch.