Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

My 1997 SLK boot will not close after the roof has been do

Customer Question

My 1997 SLK boot will not close after the roof has been down
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and welcome. My name is Marty. I'm not really clear on the problem. Is the boot lid stuck in the tilted back open position after allowing the roof to lower into the boot?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No the roof had folded back out of the boot onto the top of the car. The next stages were for the boot to close and the windows to go up returning the car to it's original state. However the boot remained up with the mechanism still 'whirring'. Since then and not having heard from you we tried to close the boot manually without forcing it. This did not work initially but after about 10 minutes it did it was as if some sort of resistance had subsided. However things are now worse as the windows will not go up and the operating switch remains illuminated red but will not work in either direction! When we try to drive the car the audible warning signal sounds all the time. We have left the car in a secure place and returned home and are now going to bed so a response early tomorrow would be appreciated. Thanks.
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi Susan, sorry for the delay I was away earlier. I'm sorry you are having trouble. At this point you will need to open the boot and lower the roof manually then try raising the roof again. I have attached a video below that outlines the procedure. You simply reverse the procedure to unlock the roof at the front. You will probably need to press down on the front of the boot lid in order to open the boot. Let me know if you need more help with this.

Manually Raise / Lower Roof