Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

my key fobe has lost its memory on my Mercedes c240 how do

Customer Question

my key fobe has lost its memory on my Mercedes c240 how do i re programe it ?
I can't start or get that cluck when you put the key in
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and welcome. My name is Marty. The smart key on your Mercedes is reprogrammed every time you insert the key into the ignition. Sometimes leaving the key in the ignition for 15 - 20 minutes and then trying it will get it working. If the steering lock is still not unlocking when you insert the key the possibilities are a faulty key, faulty electronic steering lock, faulty electronic ignition switch or a weak car battery. If you have a spare key I would try that first. Next I would try a jump start. If the battery is weak there will not be enough voltage to unlock the steering and allow the key to turn. If you still have trouble you will likely need to replace the steering lock or the ignition switch. If you do not have a spare key to try you should order a new key before replacing the lock or the switch.

Please let me know if you have any questions.