Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Place your deposit of £21 and get your answer in real-time

Customer Question

Place your deposit of £21 and get your answer in real-time now.
Your question: "I have 2003 a class auto MERCEDES. IT keeps showing F on the display. gears do not engage while driving. the obd diagnostic is reading CODE po705 which is the vehicle transmission range sensor. how do I fix the problem"
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please continue to search, I will wait a little longer.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is Marty. I apologize for the wait. The transmission range sensor on your Mercedes is part of the electronic gearshift selector module. It sounds like the range sensor is malfunctioning and not sending a signal to the transmission control module. The shift cable adjustment and the connections to the gearshift selector module should be inspected first. If the cable adjustment and the electrical connections are in good order the electronic gearshift selector module will likely need replacing to solve this problem. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for the reply.. do you know of any sights with picture od what the sensor looks like or where it its located on the car. is it something that can be changed by anyone or must it be a merc garage.

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I may have some diagrams. Can you post your 17 digit vin number (chassis number) for me?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good morning its WDB1680322J785600
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, click here for the location of the range sensor (A61). The range sensor is built into the shifter. I've also attached the parts diagram below of the gearshift assembly. The shifter should be replaced by a Mercedes garage as there will likely be coding required using the Mercedes Star Diagnosis tester for the new shifter.

Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Do you need any more help with this?