Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Which type of engine oil should I use for my 1996 C36 AMG.

Customer Question

Which type of engine oil should I use for my 1996 C36 AMG. Has travelled 190,000 but is in mint condition as the previous one owner was fastidious with maintenance.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and welcome. My name is Marty. Mercedes specifies a motor oil meeting their 229.3 or 229.5 specification for the C36 AMG. If you are using Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil you are fine. Mobil 1 is an excellent choice. You can use any oil that meets the Mercedes specification. Oils meeting the specification will have the specification clearly printed on the container. You should use a viscosity that is suitable for the lowest temperatures in your region. I have attached the viscosity chart below. I have also attached a list of approved motor oil but you should look at the container as there are numerous oils that have been approved since the list came out. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mercedes Viscosity Chart
Approved Motor Oils