Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

handbrake pedal on 2004 clk moves but does not engage handbrake

Customer Question

handbrake pedal on 2004 clk moves but does not engage handbrake at all and cable to release handle is loose and just comes out of its socket.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes am happy to wait thank you

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

this sounds like the handbrake cable may be broken oir the adjuster isn't working

to try adjusting it :
Lift the back seats
undo the black cover
Underneath there is a 3 way cable junction swinging plate (not triangular but 1 in from the parking brake pedal, 2 out to the rear brakes
adjust the cable coming from the front (tighten in small stages)
test the pedal, it should spring back to the top position gently rather than with a thump
adjust again if necessary until right
oil the links, cables, pivot point etc whilst you're there
replace cover

Don't go too tight as this will leave the pads touching the drum when you next go for a drive

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

checked that its ok its therelease cable that goes from the handle to the foot pedal that does not work but cannot find where it connects at the pedal does the sterring collumn have to come out?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

its all quite tight under there

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

but if you remove the trim panel the column shouldn't have to come out