Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Hi, I have a 1994 Mercedes 220CE Cabrio and the rear headrests

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1994 Mercedes 220CE Cabrio and the rear headrests (roll Bar) have come up on their own and won't go back down and hence I can't raise the roof - is there a way to reset them?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, and welcome. Yes there is a reset procedure for the headrests when this happens. Start the car and press and hold the roll bar switch to raise the roll bars for approximately 10 seconds until you hear the clicking sound of the roll bars relatching. Your roll bars should then be able to be raised and lowered normally again.

eurotec :

Please let me know if you are successful or if you need more help with this.

Customer :

Hi, I have already tried that. I can hear the motors running but there is no clicking sound and they will will not go down.

eurotec :

Ok, that is the only procedure for resetting the roll bars. Have you held the switch for at least 10 seconds?

Customer :

Yes - longer

eurotec :

Ok, then either the roll bar mechanism has failed or the fluid level is low in the hydraulic pump. At this point I would have the fluid level in the pump checked to see if it is low. I would also inspect the roll over sensors underneath the car at the rear lower control arms and make sure that they are not out of place or damaged.

Customer :

Is it easy to check the levels (where is it?) and or sensors or is this a garage job?

eurotec :

The reservoir is attached directly to the pump. The pump should be located at the passenger side of the trunk. On a UK model it could be on the driver's side. You can locate the pump by listening to the noise when operating the roll bar switch.

eurotec :

The sensors are underneath the car mounted on the rear axle.

eurotec :

Full Size Image

eurotec :

Click on the image for a picture of the sensors. S83/2 and S83/3 are the sensors.

eurotec :

They are mounted at the back of the rear lower control arms.

eurotec :

The hydraulic pump is item #1 in the diagram below.

eurotec :

Full Size Image

eurotec :

Please let me know if you need any more help with this.

eurotec :

I'm going to step out for lunch for about an hour. Let me know if you need anything else and I will reply when I return.