MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Qualified Diagnostic Technician
15777119

I have recently purchased a Sept 09 E350 CDI from a dealer.

Customer Question

I have recently purchased a Sept 09 E350 CDI from a dealer. On cold start up it sounds 'rattly' like older diesels sound. It does the same if I accelerate hard. Even when warmed up thje noise is still evident but not as loud. Is this normal for this typoe of car or engine. Thanks Al Beasley
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

MBpaul :

Hi Al, trying to diagnose noises like this is very difficult over the internet especially with something so subjective such as your issue. Some noise is unavoidable but if it is very noisey then there may be an issue - a faulty injector can cause knocking noises and this may be an issue with your vehicle so I would always recommend taking the vehicle back to your dealer for investigation.

MBpaul :

I woul suggest asking them to keep it overnight for a cold start test when you do book it in

MBpaul :

If you are not happy with the dealer if they say nothing is wrong then I would ask for a back to back test with a similar spec vehicle to find out for yourself if this is just a normal noise or is a problem specific to your vehicle

MBpaul :

Let me know if you need anything else

MBpaul :

Best regards, Paul