Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Hi I have a 1999 310 sprinter the edc light is comming on

Customer Question

I have a 1999 310 sprinter the edc light is comming on continuously I have had it at three garages the last one did restore its pulling power and speed i can erase the light with my ob2 but if I turn off the engine the light is staying on when restarted the garage recons it is in the fuel pump any ideas also the glow plug light is staying on but the control box is operating feed to glow plugs
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.

What malfunction codes do you have .

When theses lights stay on you have a malfunction within the system and you have to get hooked up to a scan tool to check for malfunction codes .

Once you have the malfunction codes post them here for us to check out for you .

Just clearing the codes will not do anything, the code has to be repaired first then the system cleared and if the repair was good the lights will stay out .

To know if the garage is right you will have to read the codes and repair the respective codes, if all system are correctly repaired, then the lights will not come on and the car will work as it should .

Need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Greg
Just got your reply the last garage it was in said it show up wiring faults which they said were repaired and the edc fault was in the pump and would be very expensive to repai replace and the vehicle would run alright if I used my ob2 to erase the light but to day it stop twice with edc light comming on after I erased it it restarted I will find out to morrow from the garage what codes the computer identified and email you asp

Freddy palmer
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Freddy .

Just clearing the faults to get the car started is not what i would want to hear from a trained technician . as they will know this will only work so long untill the problem gets harder (meaning a permanent code) and then you will be stuck on the road .and probably a long way from home ??.

Get me the codes if you can then lets go from there .

Rgds Greg