Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Technician with over 35 years experience in the automotive industry.
13230946

Hi. I have recently purchased a 1998 230 SLK and I had a problem

Customer Question

Hi. I have recently purchased a 1998 230 SLK and I had a problem with the roof not closing yesterday although it has worked fine the last half a dozen times of doing so. The boot lid would open but the roof would not lift out, the pump/motor was running with the switch held in the closing position but nothing would move on from there. If I moved the switch to the roof opening position the boot lid would close. I turned the engine off, locked and reopened the car with the key fob and then tried again to close the roof and luckily it did. I have in my mind that if it was a micro switch issue it would not have closed at all and the oil level is correct in the pump so I'm wondering if it is connected to the key resetting the system in some way. Can you help please, cheers Bill
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bill, my name isXXXXX key does not reset the system I think that was just a coincidence. It sounds like the problem is with the micro switch for the boot that senses when the boot is fully opened. I would inspect the switch and see if it has come loose. I have attached a picture of the location of the micro switch below. Let me know if you need more help with this.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Marty

Thank you for your response. I located the switch (well I think I have) its at right angles to the light bulb holder in the rear offside rear light housing, I presume I'm right. It is fitted as it should clipped firmly to the bracket and clicks so nothing loose or broken there, also no sign of any water damage in fact it looks very clean. I know a fault could lay within, is the cost of replacing this switch of little expense and a worthwhile try as a diagnostic check is £48 + vat just to tell me a switch is at fault? I am afraid to try and open the roof in case this plays up again. If it does is there anyway to overcome this switch to at least close the roof?

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bill, the switch is not very expensive. It retails for about £20. There is a way to close the roof manually if needed. Click here for the procedure. There is a lot of good information on the R170 CD. Click here for the information on the roof system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Marty

Due to being away with work commitments and the bad weather I have only just been able to install the new switch, unfortunately I still the problem. Opened fine. Again when I tried to close the roof the boot lid opened but the roof and rear window panel didn't raise. I tried 3 or 4 times with no luck then the boot lid jammed in place and wouldn't even close, so I was left with the boot in the open position and the pump motor not even running.

Having then left the car for 10 minutes I then tried again and the roof worked correctly. Any clues? Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SLK 170 roof fails to close after driving.

Further to first question and suggestion. I've change the boot limit switch as suggested but the fault is still there. I've changed the relay on the hydraulic pump and the roof worked fine several times stationary and after a short journey but after a 30 minute or so drive when trying to close the roof the boot opens correctly but after that the parcel shelf fails to lift and also the roof. If I continue to try the switch the boot lid jams open. If I then leave it for 10 minutes and try again it will close as it should and even reopen and close reopen and close as many times as I wish. The problem only happens after a drive, could it be related to a heat sensor or a speed sensor?

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bill, sorry for the wait I am away on vacation this week and not able to check my questions very often. I still say this is a limit switch fault. If the roof opens normally and also closes normally some of the time the most likely fault is with one of the limit switches malfunctioning. I'd reference the SLK CD I gave you and inspect the other switches in the trunk. I've attached a list of the possible limit switch malfunctions for step 15 which follows the opening of the trunk lid during the closing procedure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Marty

Thank you for getting in touch I thought I'd run out of time on my question, hopefully you had a good vacation.

It baffles me as to why the roof continues to work time after time when parked until the next drive out and then it happens again for that first closure, extremely embarrassing when parking up somewhere. The link you gave me Marty seems to have fallen off line, I get an error message appear when I try to open it. It did work before as I printed the sheet on the boot limit switch. Could you please send the link again with your list of possible malfunctions and I'll check them out. Many thanks Bill.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bill, I'm thinking one of the limit switches must be loose or sticking. Click here for another link to the SLK CD.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Marty I've saved the link but some of the images fail to show on the site, it maybe a problem my end. I'll strip the boot lining out and have a good look at the switches and power cables. Many thanks Bill.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Bill. Let me know if you need anything.